Thursday 21 June 2012

Happy metal birthday, Ben!

It was Ben’s birthday on Tuesday. My fiancé turned 24! Haha, if I stop growing now he can catch up with me in a year… But wonderful things like that hardly ever happen so we need to be practical. = =|||

    Speaking of a birthday celebration, it is usually composed of 3 elements: a present, a card and a cake. Now let me show you step by step how I failed in each category. T_T

  • Failed Element 1: Present
       This was the first birthday that I got to celebrate with Ben of minimal physical distance: 2 years ago he was in France and last year he was in China. Last year I calligraphically handwrote him a birthday love letter, sealed in a well-designed envelope and posted it to him, but it didn’t arrive at all…

    This year, with all the wedding planning going on and the fact that being with him nearly 24/7, I didn’t get much chance to “organise” a nice present for him. Instead, I went to seek help from our best friend Amazon, and bought him the luxurious “Philips Aquatouch AT890 Wet and Dry Rechargeable Electric Shaver with Pop Up Trimmer”! Ben’s always been quite lazy at shaving and often cuts himself when doing it, so I thought it’d be a good idea to get him an electric shaver.

    I forgot to take a picture of the wrapped box, instead this is a brief glance of the wrapping paper in the rubbish…

  • Failed Element 2: Card
       There are very few “happy birthday my handsome fiancé” cards in the world and being with Ben all the time when going out to shopping malls doesn’t help with choosing those cards either. So this year I decided to DIY the card. I’ve been carefully studying Ben’s baby albums and old family photos of the Carters recently and came up with the idea of gathering together 24 pictures of him to make the cover of the card. The design in my mind was like 1 of those baby albums:

    And due to my lack of talent, I realised that design into an evolution chart… T_T

  • Failed Element 3: Cake
       This was my first time baking a cake and here is the recipe I found and the following is the result I was hoping to achieve…

    But this was what really happened (and the inside wasn’t even done): T_T

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    The climax of Ben’s birthday celebration happened in the evening at the Star Inn in Guildford.

    His friends Bloodshot Dawn (YouTube) and 3 other metal bands had a gig that night. It was my first gig and I have to say I was very worried before going there, but Bloodshot Dawn completely blew me away! They even did a metal version of “Happy Birthday” for Ben! So touching! Such a shame I didn’t get a chance to record it… Kung-Fu and metal music are 2 large parts of Ben’s life, and being involved in both makes me feel closer to him than ever. ^ ^
Bloodshot Dawn - Vision *Official Music Video*

    Oh, by the way the guitarist, Mike Dawes, I mentioned in my last blog (who’s going to play at the wedding) released his new single also on the 19th!
Mike Dawes - Somebody That I Used To Know (Gotye) - Solo Guitar

No comments:

Post a Comment