Monday 11 June 2012

4 action-packed days!

The last 4 days have been a bit hectic but we made different achievements every day. First of all, we visited another venue (Loseley Park) on Friday and it was the first venue we visited in the rain. It was good, because obviously we shouldn’t put our hopes high for the weather on our wedding day. I’m actually secretly (now openly) wishing for a white Christmas, after seeing the shots of Rhinefield Park in the snow. And I’m a bit camera-shy anyway, so I can blend in well with the background.


    Ok, um Loseley Park. It is a really nice place, although the house looks a bit haunted in my shot (and in our eyes too because of the weather):


    But there is a but. They won’t allow us to have the reception IN the house (that is just for the welcoming drink and fancy pictures with several-hundred-year-old sofas and cushions and portraits of its still residing masters and mistresses); instead, we’ll have to walk over a lawn to a newly-built barn to have the wedding breakfast and evening entertainment. And they don’t seem to welcome children which is a bit… Hmm… I think the most uncomfortable thing about it is it’s still a stately home, so the lords and lordesses (or whatever you call them) and their family are still living there. It’ll be like us breaking into their family to have a wedding reception. Although it was very nice for them to agree with us using it in the Christmas period, in which case Downton Abbey turned us down… T_T

the lawn


a trousers-shaped door in the garden


a small fountain



a short video taken at Loseley 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    On Saturday we went to a translation seminar at our university and I think it could be the turning point of my career life. I seem to have got a first in my degree according to all the marks I received so far:

Just in case they might change their mind, I’m taking a screenshot here:
the best 105 credits (in red): (70+67+74+66x2+78+71)/7 ≈ 70.3 = a first!


    So I need to be a bit more ambitious than wanting to be a copy-girl at some language centre. I’m seriously considering being a translator now (while Ben is going to be an English teacher to start with). I’ve looked at courses and qualifications I need to attend and get and am ready to take that route. Ben will join me in a couple of years maybe, when his Chinese level gets up to his standard.

    After the seminar Ben and I went to my ex-landlady’s house to have dinner. She took care of me for 3 years and is a good friend of my grandmother’s. She and her husband are going to Australia to visit their daughter’s family soon so I won’t be able to see them again until the wedding (we’re inviting her and her husband).

I used to live in South Croydon


    It was also Ben’s friend, Mihails’ birthday on Saturday! I’m so glad we made it to his place before midnight with card and present and everything. Happy birthday Mihails! Sorry I dosed off at your place, the music was very soothing. ^^

    And on Sunday we went for a belated birthday dinner for Marcus’ 14th birthday at TGI Friday’s. It was my first time there and we had a lovely time. I think this will make a great fascinator for Marcus to wear at the wedding~


    So much for today. I’ll write about Monday’s adventure tomorrow which is our surprised visit to Stansted and another grand place to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment