Sunday 27 May 2012

“Four Weddings”, family trees and anniversaries

Nicola suggested me watching “Four Weddings” to have a boost of wedding ideas since I hardly have any due to lack of experience ^^. It is about four brides-to-be going to each other’s weddings and rating them; the one who gets the highest score wins a deluxe honeymoon to a wonderland with sunshine+beach 24/7. I admit for the first half an hour I thought it was a hideous programme. I thought some of their “dream wedding” plans to be very bizarre – I don’t want to be dressed like a cucumber or vampire for my wedding! But what touched me were the brides’ feelings towards their big days and their Mr Rights, especially the ones who lost. Every one of them thought THEIR wedding was the best and the most perfect, however wrong it might seem to other people. I really like that attitude, and that spirit has taken some pressure off me. I used to treat the wedding almost like a piece of coursework, but now I see the difference: the coursework can go wrong and receive a low mark; a wedding is always gonna end up well for two people who truly love each other.


    Nicola also asked me to make a family tree in order to have a clearer idea of who is who in my family just in case they all come to the wedding and there happens to be a Chinese delivery man there. I really, really enjoyed this job! I had never made a family tree before because there are not many of them and my memory hasn’t gone bad yet. But when I was making it I felt how people are connected to each other and 2 people’s love can create a miracle. I became addicted and made Ben’s family tree too. I’m going to combine them 2 and make it into a poster and put it on our walls in the future, so our children will constantly be reminded how miraculous they are~


    I went to a couple of wedding anniversaries in the past few weeks (including Andrew and Nicola’s of course) and there is nothing more pleasant, before Ben and I get married, to see strong couples one pair after another celebrating their lives together. My parents reached their silver as well 2 years ago, although it is not my family’s tradition to throw a party about it (I think we really should), the love between them is growing grander and grander every day. It may be true that the divorce rate has rocketed, but let’s not be affected by that. I think a marriage means 2 people love, stay and help each other through thick and thin for the rest of their lives. As long as we have faith in that, we will always be fine whatever waits for us ahead.

my parents on their wedding day

in their silver year

Nicola & Andrew at their silver anniversary party

^^

No comments:

Post a Comment