Sunday 23 February 2014

The First Scan!

Maybe because I didn’t spend any money on seeing a doctor during my stay in England, I was surprised by the welfare change when I came back to China and forgot to apply for a “medical insurance card”. When I took back the blood test report my family and colleagues were all surprised that the hospital would ask me to do a blood test and a scan instead of just a urine test. They thought I was cheated. However, every cloud has a silver lining; I got Kima (or its house)’s first picture.

  The day when I got the blood test report Ben and I told the great news to our parents first. In China, the tradition is you shouldn’t let everybody know until you finish your first trimester, so we just told my parents. In England there is no such taboo, so we called mum and dad and grandmas and grandpas and ask them to spread the news to every corner of the United Kingdom. Ben’s mum’s mum is a very out-bursting young lady who is famous for her silent squeak when she is excited, and she did that. We all had tears in our eyes; I felt all the seven oceans were boiling with joy.

  I was very looking forward to the scan the next day, although the doctor said it was only to check how big the baby was. I took it as if it was going to be a professional photo-shoot. I was lucky that work was not busy after the golden week, so I had time to relax a bit in the morning. The scan was one-thirty in the afternoon. I started to drink lots of water from 11:30 to keep my bladder ballooned.

  When I arrived at the scan room at 13:15, I found that many people were already waiting there. The scan room wasn’t in the gynaecology department; many of the patients were either men or old women. I saw only one girl about my age and I subconsciously looked at her stomach; it seemed flat to me, but I still couldn’t help but kept peeping at her.

  After a long hour’s waiting, it was finally my turn. At that time my bladder was so swollen that it was hurting a lot, and I wasn’t thinking of glamorous photo-shooting any more. All I could think about was not peeing the bed. There were two young female doctors in the scan room, one in charge of scanning and the other in charge of keying in. The scanning one asked if I wanted to go to the loo. I said very badly. She said ok, lie down then.

  When she started pressing my lower abdomen I started to worry about Kima. Because I’m uncultured and my brain was filled with pee, I was worried that Kima would be drowned in me, or be squeezed to death by the scanner. As I was panicking, she asked, “you pregnant?”

  I calmed down at once. Oh, good, even the scan shows it then I’m definitely pregnant. I said, “yes, I think so. I tested it at home and I came here to confirm it.”

  “When was your last period?” She was emotionless, and she looked exhausted – maybe due to seeing too many foetuses on the screen.

  “22nd August.” The key-in doctor started typing. I thought, eh? Shouldn’t you find it out yourself by scanning my baby?

  “So do you want the baby?” She asked, casually.

  My heart sank and froze. Was that a common question to ask? How many mothers-to-be decide to give up their babies in this room every day?! Or is Kima not good? What happened?!

  “Yes,” I said, firmly and cautiously, and waited and waited for her reply.

  She didn’t. All she did was keeping pressing my uterus with the scanner and read out loud the data for the doctor next to her to key-in.

  I thought, ok, there is data. At least that means my baby is still alive.

  “Your baby is too small. I cannot see the embryo or hear the heart-beat yet,” she said coldly, “ok, you can get up.”

  She gave me a printed report. That was the first time I saw my Kima. All of a sudden the discontent and fright disappeared. Our first baby, a baby who was too small to be seen yet, was forever printed on this piece of paper.


  On the way back to the office I kept my hand on where Kima was. I couldn’t feel anything physically yet, but I felt new. The embryo was growing in me strongly, quietly and speedily; this was God’s blessing. I felt powerful and I felt I could overcome anything for it – like all mothers.

  Ben rushed to my office after work to see the scan. I said you can’t see Kima yet you can only see its house. He still looked pleasantly surprised and said wow Kima would be living there for the next 8 months! I said you finally believe we’re gonna have a baby don’t you? He said yeah totally. I said is it because of the scan? He said no, because I saw the brand PHILIPS on the scan…

♥The Flashback Corner♥

When Ben came back from Guangzhou I also gave him a new-year card as a thank-you gift. At that time I was helping him and his coursemates with their Chinese mid-term exams, so we spent more time together. One evening our group was eating dinner at the PizzaExpress opposite to uni. I ordered some spaghetti but couldn’t finish it. Ben was sitting next to me. He asked if I still wanted it. I said no I’m too full. He said I can help you if you want. I said do you not mind my DNA? He said if it was your DNA I wouldn’t. I thought, what a nice boy! Not racist at all!

  Ben’s version: Flirting and scrounging food at the same time, typical English uni student behaviour! Got some nice spaghetti, but the flirting didn’t really hit home at that point.


PizzaExpress from Google Maps


“Typical English uni student behaviour” – photo by Miss Anita McMahon

No comments:

Post a Comment