Friday 3 August 2012

Birthdays & other news!

It has been quite a while since my last entry and so much has happened! Ben and I had a very busy fortnight and in just over a week we are leaving for China. Today I’m going to report the things we did in the past 2 weeks and I’ll write another entry next week just before we go.


    The first piece of great news is that Ben has successfully got his TEFL qualification as already been offered a job in a language centre in Shanghai! This actually happened more than 2 weeks ago, but we decided not to let everybody know until everything is confirmed. In order to get into China Ben would have to apply for a visa, and the Chinese government recently changed its visa regulation which has made things a little bit complicated for us. He has already submitted his application and if everything goes all right he should get his visa next Monday. Fingers crossed!



The Chinese visa application centre in London – we have made a couple of trips there already.



Chinese visa sample


    The second piece of exciting news is that we have given our notices to be married! Again things were complicated by our different nationalities and future plans. Just in case we might have to change our plans and get married in China (but let’s hope not) Ben had to apply for a Certificate of No Impediment to Marry from his government to demonstrate to my government his single status and freedom to marry me. Therefore we made a trip to the Petersfield register office (there is no register office in Liphook) to apply for that and another trip to Winchester register office (that’s the only office which deals with international marriages in our area) to give notice of our marriage in the UK. We were interviewed separately by the officer but the questions were nothing like “what’s the colour of your fiancé’s toothpaste” (she said that was an urban myth) but basic questions like “what’s your name”, “what does your father do”. Oh, and of course, we were asked each other’s names, too.



Petersfield Register Office



Winchester Register Office


    On Friday (also my mum’s birthday and the 1st day of the Olympic Games) we went to Goodwood House to do our menu tasting. Ben and I are very easy to please tongue-wise but we still thought our guests wouldn’t be let down by what they had to offer. We absolutely loved the food and both stormed our plates. I was planning to take pictures of every course but after the starter I was too eager to dig into my main and only remembered to take a shot of the mess I made. We also got served very well by a butler and a maid and all our guests will get the same treatment on our big day!



to refresh your memory of our reception venue: Goodwood House



Starter: Oak smoked salmon on caper & chive blini with Avruga caviar & lemon crème fraiche



Main: Pan fried free range chicken with creamed leeks, fondant potato with cep & tarragon beurre blanc



Dessert: Sticky toffee pudding with honeycomb clotted cream and butterscotch sauce


    The following weekend we went up to Leeds/Hull to attend Andrew (Ben’s dad)’s parents’ golden anniversary party. We just had a party at home in May to celebrate Nicola’s parents’ golden and it is so sweet and encouraging to see such loving and long-lasting couples (especially when they are in the family) all the time. We stayed over at Ben’s grandparents’ place and they were so nice to me. I’m so excited about having another 2 sets of grandparents soon and will keep in touch with them often even when we’re in China. The past 9 years in England alone from my family have made me deeply appreciate family ties. I ring up my grandmother every Sunday and I know just hearing my voice over the phone makes her happy. We will all grow old one day, and I believe that we should do now for our parents and grandparents what we will expect of our children and grandchildren when we are old.


    I found this at Ben’s grandparents’ place. Apparently that’s how Western people perceive Chinese people. I hope I didn’t let them down.


    It was my birthday this Tuesday! The appointment of our marriage notice in Winchester happened to be on that day so it made my 26th birthday more meaningful.



A very special birthday!


    Ben got up at ridiculous o’clock that morning to make me birthday cupcakes for breakfast (with blue icing). How romantic!♥


    After coming back from Winchester we went to Sainsbury’s to get some cup noodles for lunch. It is a Chinese tradition to have noodles on one’s birthday and I really wanted to try British cup noodles. I have to say I was a little bit let down.


    The birthday surprise came at dinner when I was surrounded by presents from Ben’s family. I wasn’t expecting anything as in China the 26th birthday is not usually heavily celebrated. I was thrilled to find that all the presents were London Olympic souvenirs as I am a big British/Olympic fan. Thank you every one! This was the most special birthday I’ve ever had!



the birthday dinner that I “requested”: chicken, bacon & prawn pie with potatoes and peas



My birthday cake (I asked to make this myself with Nicola’s help)!


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


♥The Flashback Corner♥


    How did we start to talk? It was maybe 2 weeks after Ben ran away from me embarrassed by his mistake in Chinese. He was sitting in a place called the “old gym” at our university and doing his Chinese homework and I went there alone and saw him, so we exchanged “hi”s and started to talk. I thought he was a very hard-working boy.


    Ben’s version: I wasn’t really working hard; the homework had to be handed in later that day! I enjoyed talking to Miki, she was humorous and sweet.



the “old gym” at Westminster



the “Deep End” at Westminster where we first met – under construction now

No comments:

Post a Comment